As of August 16th 2013 the Government is announcing new legislation whereby you can receive a fixed on the spot fine for “careless driving”.
There are a number of points which this legislation encompasses and police will be focussing on penalising contraventions of the following with fixed penalty notices of up to £100.
• Driving too close to the vehicle in front
• Failing to give way at a junction
• Forcing your way into a queue of traffic following overtaking
• Incorrect lane use on a roundabout or a junction
• Lane hogging on motorways
• Driving at inappropriate speed e.g. taking corners too quickly
• Performing wheel-spins, handbrake turns, “drifting” among other careless manoeuvres